Literacy & Numeracy at St Thomas More Catholic School
St Thomas More Catholic School is committed to developing Literacy and Numeracy skills in all of our pupils, in the belief that it will support their learning and raise standards across the curriculum. In addition to our English and Mathematics curriculum lessons there are many occasions in school when these important skills are promoted. Here are a few examples:
- Accelerated Reader Programme
- Y7 Reading for Rewards Programme
- Y7 Numeracy Ninjas Programme
- Reading and Creative Writing Clubs
- Termly Reading Challenges to pupils
- UKMT Challenges
- Staff ‘Recommended Reads’ are shared with pupils on a fortnightly basis
In addition there are a range of whole school strategies that support Literacy and Numeracy
- There are whole school strategies in place for correcting student errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Reading age data and support materials are shared with all staff.
- Regular CPD and Research and Development groups focusing on Literacy and Numeracy
- All pupils carry reading books and spend dedicated time in pastoral reading for pleasure.
- Literacy and Numeracy ‘Tool Box’ shared with all staff
- Whole school writing mats
- Debating Teams
As a school our key priorities are:
- Reading: To foster a culture of reading for pleasure.
- Writing: To ensure pupils write in an appropriate style to match their audience and purpose.
- Speaking and Listening: To ensure all staff and pupils promote the use of standard English though interaction in full sentences.
- Numeracy: To support Mathematical Fluency
- Numeracy: To develop Mathematical Thinking